35% of the Adults in the United States of America are obese, and these statistics are getting worse with every time you skip out on veggies and fill up on greasy fast food. Remember the gym membership you took after that cliché New Year’s resolution and didn’t use it? Maybe its time you buckle up and start taking care of your body before its too late. Belly fat or visceral fat is present around your major organs and too much of it can definitely kill you.
Also getting rid of that belly fat will make you look taller and will also contribute towards your goal of gaining those real inches
Belly fat has been linked to the following ailments:
- Heart Attack
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Certain Types of Cancer
- High Blood Pressure
Well the good news is that belly fat is very responsive to diet and exercise. So, if you play your cards right, maybe you’ve got a shot at survival.
Here are a few ways you can lose belly fat:
Making a few changes in your diet can have a long-term effect on your health.
- Only eat when you’re hungry. Having small meals throughout the day also helps.
- Chewing slowly tricks your mind into thinking that you’re full.
- Introduce a lot of fiber in your diet. Cut back on sugary drinks and refined foods.
- Feeling hungry between meals? Snack on fresh fruits.
- Control and reduce the intake of fats.
- Increase the intake of lean proteins.
Move that Body:
Surprisingly aerobic exercise is the biggest enemy of visceral fat. Be it running, cycling or swimming, keep your body moving and you’re bound to lose that belly fat. Plus getting in shape will give you more energy.
Here are a few exercises you can do to keep that body in check:
- Crunches: Be it twist, side, reverse or regular crunches, doing it on a regular basis will reduce that belly fat for sure. Lie on your back with knees bent and feet planted on the ground. Lift your back a few inches from the ground and go back to your original position and repeat. For twist crunches, lift your right side towards the left and vice versa. Side crunches are similar to twist crunches with just one little addition. You tilt your leg to the same side simultaneously. Remember to inhale when you lift your body off the ground and exhale while you get back on the ground.
- Lunge Twist: This is a quick way to reduce your body fat. You start by standing with your legs apart, bent slightly at the knees. Lift your arms up and keep them parallel to the ground. Now all you have to do is take your right leg bending forward and your left leg straight on your toes. Repeat this with the other leg. Having a few sets of this in your daily routine can help you lose belly fat quickly.
- Bicycle Exercise: Ever tried to ride a cycle, uhm without a cycle? Well here’s how you do it. Lie flat on your back with your palms behind your head. Lift your legs up bent at the knees. Pull the right knee close to your chest while you keep your left leg away. Repeat the same with the left knee. After you get the knack of it, it feels like you’re paddling a cycle.
- Planks: If you see someone doing a plank the first thought that comes to your mind is, damn that’s easy I can do it all day. Well first last for 30 seconds and give yourself a pat on the back. Here’s how you do it. Position yourself on the floor you’re your elbows resting on the ground. Support your legs with your toes and keep your neck straight. Well hold this position for 30 seconds and you’ll be doing a great job.
- Bending Side to Side: Stand straight with your legs apart. Bend on the right side till you feel a strain on your waist, while keeping your right hand on your waist and left hand in the air. Hold that position for 15 seconds and repeat on the other side.
High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT is a type of workout where you have a period of high intensity exercise followed by a period of rest. It is a good way to reduce belly fat and helps you push yourself to your limits.
People who get less than 5 hours of sleep tend to gain weight and have an increase in belly fat. It is important for adults to get at least 8 hours of sleep. More than that will also lead to increase in laziness and overall weight gain. Chaotic sleep cycles ruin your body functions and might increase the production of cortisol which is a fat storing hormone.
Drink Tea Like the Brits do:
It has been seen that people who add green tea to your diet along with a daily workout regime have had a better time at losing belly fat. The antioxidants called catechins, found in green tea help in losing significant amounts of weight.
Say No to Instant Weight Loss Pills and Regimes:
If popping pills would make you lose belly fat, wouldn’t obesity be a thing of the past? These fake advertisements should always be ignored. The only way to lose weight is naturally through hard work and disciplined workout.
Overall losing belly fat can be a task, but it is a must if you want to avoid obesity and live a long and happy life. Make doable targets and don’t try to lose a lot in an instant. Too much workout can cause fatigue and hurt your body systems, plus there’s a chance that you’ll give up on losing weight altogether. Don’t remove all your favorite foods from your diet all at once or else you’ll be craving them all the time and end up losing the battle. All in all, a little bit of discipline in your life can take you a long way.